The social scientist Dr. Christine Scheidegger
- gender inequality expertise
- gender expertise
- social science expertise
I am a Swiss social scientist with a particular interest in gender and gender inequality. I had the privilege to do PhD and postdoc research on gender equality in Switzerland and in a large number of countries on all continents. I enjoyed a broad interdisciplinary education from several universities and travelled internationally for research. I love cleaning and analysing data, collaborating with diverse partners, sharing knowledge and skills and advance knowledge and people. I am open for interesting, paid projects.
The archery partner Christine Scheidegger
- trainer services over bogenstunden.ch (archery independent of a club)
- trainer of Bärner Bogen Sport Club BBSC (archery in a club)
- temporary trainer (for events and clubs)
I launched my own start-up (www.bogenstunden.ch) to provide archery classes for everyone independent of an archery club. Besides that, I am a youth and sport trainer in an archery club in Bern.
The sexism specialist Christine Scheidegger
- anti-sexism workshops for groups and organisations
- editor and author on everyday sexism
- exhibition guide for "Ich säg was lauft"
I published a book on everyday sexism (Sexistische Botschaften) in German-speaking countries. I give workshops for groups and organisations interested to happily avoid and resist everyday sexism. This autumn I guided a couple of school classes through the exhibition "Ich säg was lauft" (prevention of sexual violence in young couples).
The web person/techy Christine Scheidegger
- testing websites, services and products
- building small websites
- gender-sensitivity check
- network knowledge and people
I am fond of social innovation and open source community methods. I work in the multilingual, agile and entrepreneurial environment of the coworking space urbanfish. My specialty is to support people to reach cool, non-discriminating websites, products and services. I test products, services and websites and provide consultancy on gender sensitive appearance. Do you want to build and administer your personal website? I help you along.
The support person Dr. Christine Scheidegger
- writing important texts
- organising/planning important things
- presenting important information
- strategical consultancy
- frank feedback
Do you need a partner to bring your BA-/MA-/PhD-thesis to a good end and have fun along the way? I am not writing your work. You will present. I can train and motivate you. You can get feedback on all critical areas you decide to have feedback. I am not afraid of challenging cases or conditions, such as difficult relations between professor and student, hot topics, psychic obstacles, transgressing behavior in working environments, challenging methods or limited access to research subjects and information. "Easier" cases are welcome as well. I have a lot of experiences to consult, teach and negotiate internationally. Networking and mentoring are my second nature. That might become handy, when my profound methodological skills do not match your demands.
Book chapter in Auth, Diana, Hergenhan, Jutta and Barbara Holland-Cunz (eds.), 2017: Gender and Family in European Economic Policy. Developments in the New Millennium. Palgrave, Basingstoke. ISBN: 978-3-319-41512-3. Our articles sorts through reasons for the (non-)increase of women's political representation in Europe in the last 15 years.
Sexistische Botschaften in Sprache, Text, Bild, Werbung und Film. eFeF-Verlag, Wettingen. ISBN: 978-3-905561-91-3. It deals with sexism in German-speaking countries and measures against sexism. Authors are: Dominique Grisard, Andrea Maihofer, Martina Leonarz, Maya Götz, Thea Rytz, Manfred Pfiffner, Elisabeth Joris and Christine Scheidegger.
Research InterestsComparative Politics, Switzerland, Gender and Politics, Feminist Theory, Intersectionality, Institutionalism, Sexisms
- 2017 Workshop on recipes against sexism. Feministisches Forum Bern, Switzerland. April 5.
- 2017 Workshop on recipes against sexism. Frauenbibliothek Basel, Switzerland. March 7.
- 2016 Workshop on recipes against sexism. Zürcher Frauentagung an der Universität Zürich, Switzerland. November 5th.
- 2016 Co-organiser of panels of working group Gender and Politics of Swiss Political Science Association (SVPW-ASSP) at annual conference of SVPW-ASSP at University of Basel (January 21st and 22nd). Together with chair Lea Sgier (Universities of Budapest and Geneva) and Gesine Fuchs (Basel/University of Applied Sciences Lucerne).
- 2015 Organiser of an atelier at the conference of the Swiss Association of Gender Studies (SGGF) "Institutionalising gender studies in Swiss political science: Perspectives and strategies". Together with Gesine Fuchs (Basel), Lea Sgier (Universities of Budapest and Geneva), Eléonore Lépinard (University of Lausanne), Katrin Meyer (University of Basel) and Michelle Beyeler (University of Applied Sciences Bern). September 25th and 26th, at University of Lausanne.
- 2015 Discussant of Panel Going Global with State Feminism: Methodological Challenges. ECPR General Conference, Montréal, Canada. August 26th to 29th, at Université de Montréal.
- 2015 Chair of Panel Post-adoption Policies: Measuring, Implementing, and Evaluating Gender Equality Policies. Fourth European Conference on Politics and Gender, Uppsala, Sweden. June, 13th, at Uppsala Universitet.
- 2014 Workshop on rights and duties of employers on sexual harassment in Switzerland. 3rd ThinkLab event (special guest), urbanfish Bern, Switzerland.
- 2014 «Wolny marsz Szwajcarek» written by Iwona Aleksandra Halgas for Polish weekly magazine Przegląd (44/2014). Testimonials on gender inequality in Switzerland.
- 2014 Reviewer for Swiss Political Science Review.
- 2012 Gender Inequality in Switzerland. Frauenpavillon im Stadtpark, St. Gallen (August 30th). On invitation of the green party of the city of St. Gallen. Content: Key figures on social structures. Input and discussion held in German.
- 2012 Gender Inequality in Switzerland. Speech held before a delegation of Chinese exchange students on the University of St. Gallen (February 15th). Content: Key figures on social structures. Input and discussion held in English.
- 2009 Is that all? We need more! Gender equality offices in Switzerland. Peter und Paul, Aarau (September 1st). On invitation of Interest Group Gender Equality (canton Aargau). Content: Main results of master thesis. Input and discussion held in German.
- 2005 Broadcasted radio contribution on sexism in “Context” Radio DRS 1 (prepared in team work). Part of Gender Studies education to communication scientific results.
Fuchs, Gesine and Christine Scheidegger: Political representation of women in Europe. What accounts for the increase in the 2000’s? (forthcoming 2017) In: Auth, Diana, Hergenhan, Jutta and Barbara Holland-Cunz (eds.), 2017: Gender and Family in European Economic Policy. Developments in the New Millennium. Palgrave, Basingstoke. ISBN: 978-3-319-41512-3. More information
Scheidegger Christine (ed.) 2016: Sexistische Botschaften in Sprache, Text, Bild, Werbung und Film. eFeF-Verlag, Wettingen. ISBN: 978-3-905561-91-3.
Scheidegger, Christine 2016: Sexistische Botschaften in Texten. In: Scheidegger, Christine (ed.), 2016: Sexistische Botschaften in Sprache, Text, Bild, Werbung und Film. eFeF-Verlag, Wettingen.
Scheidegger, Christine 2015: Institutional Inspirations: Women’s Policy Agencies In Turkey And Its Neighbours. In: Dalaman, Zeynep Banu (2015): Women and politics in a global world. Küreselleşen dünyada kadin ve siyaset. conference proceedings. Aydin Üniversitesi, İstanbul, p. 73-95.
Scheidegger, Christine, 2014: Women’s Policy Agencies and Institutional Architecture in Comparison: Building Blocks for Equal Gender Relations, 2014. Committee: Prof. Daniele Caramani, PhD (St. Gallen), Prof. Dr. Birgit Sauer (Vienna) and Prof. Elisabeth Prügl, PhD (Geneva). Dissertation, University of St. Gallen. Bamberg: Difo-Druck. Printed copy under firstname.lastname@example.org. Available at EDIS as electronical doctoral thesis.
Scheidegger, Christine, 2008: Rahmenbedingungen für die Entstehung und Weiterexistenz von kantonalen Fachstellen für Gleichstellung zwischen 1990 und 2005. Ein Quervergleich. Lizentiatsarbeit Politologie Bern, printed by Uniprint, Fribourg. Also available online.
Non-Academic Publications (selection)
Scheidegger, Christine, 2016: Sexistische Botschaften. Bulletin Frauenzentrale Zürich 1/2016, p. 11. (read online)
Scheidegger, Christine, 2014: Sexuelle Belästigung an Amerikanischen Unis: Title IX, Kalifornien, Umsetzungsmassnahmen und verantwortungsvolle Männer. FemInfo 38 (December), rubric side glance science politics. (read online)
Scheidegger, Christine 2014: Gleichstellungsbüros weltweit. FemInfo 35 (March), p. 34. (read online)
Scheidegger, Christine 2009: Institutionalisierung der kantonalen Gleichstellungsbüros in der Schweiz 1990‒2006. NGO-Koordination post Beijing Schweiz. Circular no. 2 (October), p. 8‒9. (read online)